The onset of the Pandemic has given newer meaning and dimensions to the importance of health and a healthy lifestyle. Maintaining personal hygiene has become of utmost importance. Modern science has improved drastically and has brought in many guidelines such as hand sanitiser, frequent hand wash, and others to prevent infections. But our ancestors were also quite aware of the importance of health. In ancient India, certain practices were inculcated amongst the masses to encourage a healthy lifestyle.Ancient India is full of wisdom.
Here is a list of some of the scientifically proven ancient Indian practices that one should adopt in their day-to-day lives.
- According to the experts, the best way to have meals is by sitting on the floor with crossed legs. A yoga posture called “Sukhasan,” is an ancient practice in Indian culture that helps to boost blood circulation and increase flexibility. Dining tables can be a sign of a modern lifestyle, but eating like this improves digestion and reduces problems of acidity and bloating.
- Cooking in earthen pots may sound challenging and complex, but expert studies have shown that cooking in earthen pots can prevent cancer. The food cooked in the earthen pots also helps balance the acidic nature of the food and prevents the growth of cancerous cells. Also, the food prepared in the earthen pot has extra minerals added, which are very beneficial for the body.
- You may be a workaholic, and this might even sound funny to you, but ancient studies have shown that the best time to have dinner is 7 pm. In ancient India, it was a widespread practice. Even your grandparents and elders practice this old habit. The reason behind having dinner early is that this allows the body to relax more and digest the food that one has consumed. Having an early dinner can also lead to weight loss.
- We are living in a time where eating food with our hands can lead to embarrassment. But, according to Ayurvedic rituals, eating with hands helps to form a yogic posture that brings all your fingers and thumbs together. Eating with hands also helps the brain to connect with the food better. Experts say that eating with your hands may even help you with weight loss and diet. But before you take your food, you wash your hand using a hand wash.
- Your mother might even scold you for drinking water while standing. But this is something even the experts recommend. Drinking water while standing can lead to the disruption of body fluids. Practising this habit can cause the accumulation of excess fluids in your joints, which can further lead to arthritis in the future.
So, what are you thinking about? Adopt these five ancient Indian practices as early as possible and get the extra shield in the prevention of diseases.